Friday, July 3, 2009

Thing #19 Web 2.0 Awards

Since I am a librarian, I headed straight for the Web 2.0 Awards for books. First I searched Lulu, but it is not free. It is a cool place to create mini-books with your class. Photos can be imported from Flickr, but there would always have to be permission forms signed from parents before photos can be used. Lulu can also be used to create a photo calendar and cookbooks can be created for fundraisers. Since library budgets are growing smaller everyday, that might be an option. I also appreciated the option to publish a book or a book of poetry. There are always students who would like to pursue publication of their works.

Next, I searched Biblio. Woo Hoo! It is a great source for out-of-print books. I searched several books that teachers have requested and I found them. I can't wait to let our business department know about this site. After searching a bit more, I found that they will accept P/Os and their shipping options and prices are easy to understand. This site is great for locating those books that the mainstream vendors no longer carry, but teachers need for special lessons. These books would not be the type to be placed on the shelves for children, but the bindings would be acceptable to be housed in a professional section for special teacher uses.

I took a look at VuFind, but the demo didn't really work. I clicked on the FAQs, but it didn't popup anything. I don't really understand the site. I have use WorldCat several times before. It is a great site to search for MARC records. It is always easier to edit a MARC record rather than to create one from scratch. I have also used it to proof my own original cataloguing to make sure that I am not missing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment