Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thing #10 Image Generators



The first thing that I wanted to do was to create a Jigsaw puzzle. There are several sites that will create this effect. Big Huge Labs and Dumpr both were easy to use.




I have used Wordle many times before. It is a great opportunity for students to share what they have learned with a word collage. You can check it out at http://www.wordle.net/. I was unsuccessful when I tried to copy/paste my wordle art, but it is so much fun.




I really enjoyed using Big Huge Labs to turn a photograph into a sketch. It was incredibly fast, and I was so excited until I showed my son his image. He looked at me, shrugged and said, "Mom, I can do that on my phone." Obviously I am an immigrant, and he is a native. Dumpr also has the capability to turn a photo into a sketch.






I think the easiest of the applications to use is the Happy Face Generator. This example was so quick to create.




It took me forever to create a comic strip. I couldn't find a picture that was exactly what I wanted. I love the one on Library2Play. Here is mine. We've had 3 straight days of over 100 degrees.

This "thing" was a lot of fun and a very creative avenue. I spent two days just exploring the sites. The Kid Friendly Image Generator would be a lot of fun for kids to explore, but I don't think I would ever take them there because the Barbie image is not acceptable. What were they thinking? I think Glogster would be a great opportunity for older elementary through high school for a visual sharing of any kind of reading.
I noticed that many of the image generators offerred several of the same opportunities. Some sites were easier to use than others, but it was all fun.

2 comments:

  1. yes variety is the spice of life...aren't we lucky that computer nerds enjoy what they do so much, they put all this stuff up on the web for us to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the puzzle is a great problem solving idea forthe classroom. For the Pre-K classroom, you can have a shape ad have the kids piece together the shape while trying to guess what it is. Fun!

    ReplyDelete