Sunday, June 28, 2009

Thing #12 Creating Community through Commenting

As I read through the strategies for commenting, I really began to think about the need to just comment. I am in the process of really cleaning my home -- I call it "deep cleaning." So the thought of clutter just popped into my thoughts. How many of our comments are really just clutter. I lurk around a lot, but if I have something meaningful to contribute, I will add a comment. Sometimes, I think people are really only adding clutter. I believe that is why more people do not add comments. I think people often do not contribute because the issue under discussion has been blogged to death, and there are no new comments to make.

Another thought that I have is community... Is blogging really a community? I worry about my own children and this generation of teens. They stay in their rooms or in the office and stay connected to their friends electronically. They blog, twitter, and use facebook continually. Are they going to be able to function in a workplace with society? Will they actually talk to people or will they just email to the next cube? Honestly, I would rather communicate face-to-face than on a computer.

Blue Skunk comments back to every blogger. Wow! Commenting to every blogger is a huge undertaking. I am not sure where to find the time.

I added two new blogs to my RSS feeds. One is about home decorating -- I am moving the office downstairs and reclaiming a bedroom upstairs. The other one is about sewing. I need to make a new shower curtain and I want to add grommets. I think I will be able to search this blog for the information that I need.

I have commented on a few blogs. I am so impressed with some of the backgrounds of the blogs. Way to go you guys! I'll post more comments in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I firmly believe blogging is a community..yes I know people read my blogs with whom I have a f2f relationship as well, but in those cases, the blogs become parking places for information and ideas so we all can find them. But because of the blogs I have created professional connections (and even some level of personal friendship) that I know I would not have had otherwise...learning and sharing beyond the circle of my physical world!

    I think you will begin to see a little of this as you collect comments thru the various Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed and agreed with your comparison of some comments to clutter. I do believe, though, that blogs and the communication that they allow offer a unique way of growing a community.

    ReplyDelete